Last week we shared 7 tips to expand your wardrobe. Using layers was one of the seven, so this week we thought it would be a great idea to expound on that.
Layering is a great way to reinvigorate your wardrobe without extra expense. Well chosen layers give tired outfits a new lease on life and the best part is, you can usually shop your own wardrobe. Layering your pieces helps to create chic, sophisticated looks. Additionally it's actually practical, allowing you to be ready for a wider range of temperatures without having to change an outfit completely. This is key when transitioning between seasons as we are soon to be doing.
Key Layering Pieces
• Cardigans Cardigans are so awesome! You can layer them almost year round. They come in various lengths, shapes, and weights which allow for endless combinations and options. They work best when paired other pieces that compliment your silhouette.
• Moto Jackets Moto jackets can give edge and spice to an otherwise safe and basic look. Choose a pop of color that can play as a neutral such as a deep red or a vibrant royal blue color. These bold colors pair well with most other colors and work extremely well with patterns.
• Scarves Scarves are an easy way to add a bit of intrigue or drama to an existing look. Wearing one around your neck is the most common, but don't be afraid to step out of the box. Go for an oversized silk or poly-blend scarf for good draping ability. Wear it draped across one shoulder and let it flow. You may also want to go for a long knit scarf to add texture, such as our sweater scarf. You wear it as a traditional winter scarf of wrap it around you in various ways.
• Button Down Shirts Button down shirts are so underrated. Have you ever had a day of errands that may start with a light day at the gym? Button downs are a great way to transition into a chic look. Pair your leggings and racerback top with a plaid button down tied around your waist and moto jacket on top. You'll easily be able to finish your errands, do brunch, and whatever else they day holds.
• Sweaters Sweaters are sometimes a forgot layer piece. Scrunch the sleeves over a button down shirt to create a contrast in texture. They can also be draped around the shoulders if you get too warm for a chic preppy vibe.
• Vests Vests can be so much fun and come in an unlimited variety. You can also use untraditional garments as vests i.e.; bustier corsets. When worn on top of a blouse or a crisp button down top with oversized or bishop sleeves can add a whole lot of spice to a boring and plain vanilla outfit. Denim vests add great texture as well. Knit vests can also drastically change the vibe of your look for a more conservative or modest vibe.
Once you master these fundamental suggestions and make them your own, you'll be able to layer like a pro and really add "good drama" to your wardrobe.
Check out some of the examples we've provided below.
Speaking of Layers...
Check out Toni's Haute Tips on our social links below!